Friday 28 September 2012

Wonder and The Divine (Kate Soles)

Albert Einstein once said, “The most beautiful thing we can experience is the mysterious.” I can think of nothing more mysterious than the presence of the Divine, an air that creates overwhelming wonder due to its sheer inexplicability. How does one describe the feeling of a call from God?

Last week, I had the honour of meeting a group of courageous women, each one battling vicious inner demons. Some struggled with drug and alcohol addiction, some dealt with severe depression, all fought a constant war with negative body image and distorted eating. As I listened to their powerful stories, I asked myself, what motivates these women to keep going? What synchronicities point someone towards the decision to quit her job, leave her fiancé and give up her house in order to focus on becoming healthy? Does this constitute a call?

I wouldn’t say I felt a Divine presence among our group that night. But I did feel an appreciation for what is precious and inspiring in life. I did feel moved, centered in the moment and reflective. I did feel open to beauty and mystery. And perhaps that’s not so different from feeling the Divine after all.

No comments:

Post a Comment