Thursday 22 May 2014

Taking photographs at OBUC (by Anne Lyle)

Some time ago Laurel asked me to write about the photographs I take at church for various events, or special occasions.  Sometimes you see them in the announcement or service PowerPoint slides in church.
I was inspired to write this because of Michelle’s story to the children about God seeing what’s inside a person, that which is hidden, no matter what the outside looks like and it wasn’t until I heard that conversation with the children that I could put a finger on why I I really enjoy taking photos at church.
Let me begin by saying I’m not a photographer that gets paid for my pictures (though under pressure I have accepted an honorarium occasionally), nor am I an aspiring photographer, as I’ve never felt it as a calling.  It’s simply that I enjoy photographing people and nature mostly for my own benefit, and I admit, I don’t think I’m all that good at it.   So now that you know where I’m coming from, you’ll know that taking pictures is much like the knitting you see me doing, it’s a pleasure, and there’s a good chance you’re better at it yourself.
I have had the privilege of being asked to photograph weddings, where the number of people attending were few or many, in one instance just the minister, couple, witnesses, and me, and I didn’t know I was photographing a wedding until the night before.  To say I am privileged doesn’t even come close to how honoured I feel about being allowed to be present during such a special time.
I’ve taken many pictures at baptisms and I love the look on parents’ faces especially the “oh my God I hope this kid doesn’t scream” look of terror and depending on the age of the child the look of wonder, surprise or horror as he or she is being doused with water.  Sometimes very young children seem to be looking around and seeing something/someone unseen to the rest of us, and at other times the sun miraculously breaks through the clouds at just the right moment, shines through the church’s stained glass windows illuminating the child with a glow that I can only imagine might have been like when “Jesus took with Him Peter and James and John his brother, and led them up on a high mountain by themselves. 2And He was transfigured before them; and His face shone like the sun, and His garments became as white as light.”  (Matthew 17:2)
I especially love catching the kids in the congregation being themselves, or even more delightfully representing someone in the bible and being themselves.  Think Calvin being a shepherd watching over his stuffed sheep, Nickolas stomping his foot to knock at the innkeeper’s door during the Christmas pageant or one of the miniature kings carrying a much too large treasure to the front of the church in the same pageant.
And then there are the times when my camera is peeking out and taking pictures of you as you drink tea, eat cake and provide loving fellowship to friends and newcomers at various times.  Putting your hand on a shoulder here, giving a hug there, and offering words of comfort or encouragement.
So…where am I going with all this?  Well it’s very simple really, when I’m behind my camera I often catch a glimpse to you being close to God, God being close to you and sometimes even a tiny glimpse of what God sees inside of you as you let your true self shine.  The kids are better at this than most of the rest of us, and somehow my camera lens seems to see not just your image, but something more.  Sometimes it’s a look, a glow, a light shining in an unexpected or unusual way.  It happens in an instant and I never know when or what it will be, and often it doesn’t show in the photo, but I see it through the lens very briefly, and for that moment I feel blessed/honoured/full of gratitude because it’s in these special moments that I know that God is with us shining through you, much like the way Michelle explained it to the children.
As we go forward there will be many more photos to accompany your stories commemorating our 100th anniversary, special events, and many more moments of witnessing God in you when you least expect it!

No comments:

Post a Comment