Monday 15 October 2012

Losses and Gains (Kate Soles)

A child whose parents die becomes an orphan. A person whose spouse dies becomes a widow. A parent whose child dies remains nameless; no word exists to capture such an unnatural tragedy. Yet, too often, tragedy strikes. The day before Thanksgiving, my Mom’s neighbours’ six-year-old daughter, Anika, died of complications from Cerebral Palsy. I do not know the depth of their faith but I imagine Anika’s parents currently feel very far from God; I don’t imagine they feel much thankfulness.

What would Jesus say if these parents asked Him how to inherit life with the One who has eternal being? Would He ask them to make sacrifices despite just losing a child? Could He give a valid and comforting explanation of why God cut Anika’s life so short?

Of course, I have no idea what Jesus might say to Anika’s parents. Perhaps, instead of telling them what to give up, He would show them what to gain. I like to think He would help them find strength, the capacity to endure pain with courage and to recognize that suffering can lead to graceful transformation. I like to think He would help them find trust, a surety that a gift or lesson lies in everything that happens. I like to think He would help them find forgiveness, the capability to transform hurt into resolve, to open the door of hope.

No comments:

Post a Comment