Monday 8 October 2012

Thoughts on Thanksgiving (Kate Soles)

For abundant food when many go hungry, for family and friends when many walk alone, for health when many suffer constantly, for peace when many live in fear of war, I feel truly thankful.

For yesterday’s beautiful running weather, for the opportunity to watch my son and my dad play together, for time to enjoy the Sunday crossword, for supportive words from my partner, I feel deeply grateful.

Do these sentiments mean the same thing? What, if anything, makes thankfulness different from gratitude? Both involve expression of appreciation; both sooth sadness and lead to acceptance. I think of thankfulness as recognition of bounty, a celebration of our blessings and on the treasures in our lives. Thankfulness restores hope, gives perspective and brings contentment. For me, gratitude represents living in the moments and acknowledging those moments as they unfold. It denotes an openness to notice small graces and to express thanks freely.

Today, above all days, I reflect on my good fortune and wish everybody a Happy Thanksgiving.

No comments:

Post a Comment