Thursday 18 October 2012

Me First Jesus - Continued (Rev. Gail Miller)

I wonder .  . .

I am struck by the outrageous nature of James and John's request - "Teacher, we want you to do for us whatever we ask of you."  Do for me whatever I ask.  It seems to me the kind of request that arises from a sense of either desperation or entitlement.

We have all had those times when we beg God for what we believe we want or need with a promise of life long faithfulness and obedience in return.  I get that.

But is it possible these two disciples are telling Jesus that he owes them something, for their willingness to follow him?

I wonder . . .

why . . . the "Word" that has chosen me this week is this phrase "Grant us to sit, one at your right hand and one at your left, in your glory."

Grant us to sit . . . in your glory. The request could be read as a desire to be in the aura of power, perhaps in the hope that their own personal power will be increased. It could be read as a request to be second and third in command, to be at the table where big decisions are made, when Jesus as messiah finally occupies the seat of authority.  This interpretation is supported by some of the biblical commentaries.

But that is not how the "Word" is living in me at the moment.  For it is not power I seek, nor a place at the table where movers and shakers sit.  But something rather opposite; a reprieve, a time out, a good long moment to bask in the light reflecting from the presence of Christ.  Almost like sitting in the sun on a warm summer day.  An opportunity to be present in and to the glory of Christ as it is manifest right now.   Not for power's sake but in order to just "be".

I wonder if this is one of those questions of relationship again.  Keith's sermon last week talked about the rich young man's question as one of relationship - how do I live with the one who is eternal?  In this case - how am I to sit, to be in your glory Jesus?

I wonder  . . .

What is the "Word" that has chosen you this week?  And what do you make of it?

And now to the biblical commentaries - stay tuned!






No comments:

Post a Comment